TRADEMARK REGISTRATION IN TURKEY
IN 150 COUNTRIES
Trademark Application in Turkey
Registration of a trademark in Turkey is available to individuals and legal entities. Those, who are not resident in Turkey should be represented by a Turkish trademark agent. How to register a trademark in Turkey? To obtain exclusive rights to a company name, you should fill out the form on our website online. Profitmark International Patent Bureau specializes in the registration of intellectual property and has official representatives in 120 countries. Using our service to register a trademark in Turkey you receive:
- Consulting support.
- Professional trademark verification in Turkey
- Preparation of a package of documents for obtaining registration.
- The official filing of the Application for registration with the patent office of the country.
- Accompanying your application with an accredited patent attorney.
- If necessary: filing petitions or other additional documents and applications in the process of registering a trademark.
- Obtaining a Certificate for a trademark.
In addition to the high competence of our experts, online interaction is one of the main advantages of our company service. Specially developed software allows us to accept the applications and process them in automatic mode. In countries where online patent filing is available, we use exactly this option. This allows assigning quickly priority to the applicant.
The user gets access to the personal account on the site, which will display complete information about the paperwork. You will be aware of any changes in the pendency of application status by sending a notification letter via the specified email.
National registration does not prevail on international registration. However, Madrid designations have the following disadvantages compared to the local applications.
However, the Madrid (international) registration has the following disadvantages compared to local applications:
- the Madrid (international) registration procedure takes up to 18 months, while the registration of a trademark in Turkey can be obtained within 4-6 months (if no objection is filed);
- TURKPATENT does not notify the oppositions in the case of international registration, which makes it impossible for applicants to respond to objections or file an objection against the use of the opposing party's trademarks if they have been registered for more than 5 years.
Trademark Search in Turkey
Nice Agreement Concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services is used for the classification of the goods and services of the trademark applications.
Turkey uses Latin alphabets in the written language, so, the trademarks in foreign language but expressed in the Latin alphabets are registered as they appear.
Turkish Trademark Law requires no disclosure of the trademark meaning, i.e., no translation of the trademark into Turkish, whether such trademark is written in Latin characters or not.
But, if a trademark is expressed in other alphabets, e.g. in Cyrillic, Japanese or Chinese characters etc., the transliteration of the trademark into Latin characters are required by Turkish Patent and Trademark Office (TURKPATENT).
Trademark registration process in Turkey
A trademark registration takes 6-8 months from the filing date.
You should file the followings to obtain filing date:
- Your identity details (name or title and address);
- Your trademark sample;
- List of goods and services;
- Payment of the official fee for the application.
The Turkish Patent and Trademark Office carries out an ex-officio examination for absolute grounds for refusing registration. It also includes examination for identity or similarity. If the Office finds an identical or confusingly similar trademark, it will refuse to register your trademark.
You have to pay the registration fee within 2 months from the decision for registration. The registration certificate will be issued (electronically only) within approx. 2 months from the payment of the registration fee. No printed copy of the certificate is provided.
The term of protection for registered trademark is ten years from the date of application. The renewal of trademarks in Turkey may be done for periods of ten years. The official fees for renewing electronically are approximately $180.
Cost of trademark registration in Turkey
The official trademark registration fees in Turkey are calculated based on the number of the classes. You should pay the same amount for each claimed class.
The registration fees are approximately $143.
If you decide to register a trademark in Turkey - just file an online application!